Saturday, December 15, 2012

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda . . .

"I should have gone to class more."

"I should have managed my time better."

"If I'd done the reading, I would have gotten a better grade."

"I should have cut back on work hours."

"I should have joined a club."

"I could have passed that exam--if I'd studied harder."

Sound familiar?  I encounter these words often (usually around the end of the term)--in essays, journals, class discussions, conversations, and pretty much anywhere else students open up about   their first semester in college. 

My response?  It may be too late to repair this semester, but remember your "Shoulda/Coulda/ Woulda" list for next time around. 

Very few students have perfect first semesters.  Even when most of it goes okay, there's often something they wish could have turned out better. 

Fortunately, there's always next semester: another chance to make things right!  But for that to happen, you need to be willing to look at (and learn from) your first semester here, especially those actions and decisions you wish you could take back.

So as you look ahead to the spring, ask yourself what you would like to be different.  Better class attendance, better study habits, better grades, less stress, a more interesting social life--all are possibilities.  If you haven't thought much about what you need to work on, maybe it's time to make that "Shoulda/Coulda/Woulda" list and use it to make next semester the best it can be. 





                           







No comments:

Post a Comment